From Suzanne Martin, President of AIJN
This is a busy month so please read:
1. NEXT THURSDAY, JUNE 7th - 6:30pm-8pm - General meeting at Calvary Methodist Church - 301 Rowe Blvd.
Guest Speaker - CHARLIE MARTEL
Charlie is a human rights lawyer with Advocates Abroad, a legal aid organization that assists refugees from the Middle East and Africa seeking asylum in Europe. He just recently worked with refugees on the Greek Island of Samos in late 2017 and has also supported refugees with remote research. Charlie has also worked as investigative counsel with the U.S. Senate and taught national security law. Charlie has recently joined our group and has offered to help us out in our legal assistance fund which I am very thrilled!!
2. SATURDAY, JUNE 2ND - "VOLUNTEER DAY" at the gardens on the farm! ALL are welcome! The work is not in the family plots, but more about cleaning up, setting up and improving the appearance of the entryway and open areas. Pastor Migde could use six or seven folks for 2 to 3 hours each. If you are able to volunteer this Saturday for a short time, please contact Stephanie Anderson at email@example.com. This is an amazing program where immigrant families can come together to grow plots of fruit and vegetables. Through the generous help of the UU Church and the UCC Church of Annapolis as well as private citizens like Tracey B., a beautiful new shed and many tools have recently been donated.
3. SUNDAY, JUNE 3RD - "Dedication of the Garden" - Pastor Migde has invited all of us to a ceremony/service next Sunday at 5:00 to dedicate the garden and would love to have some people from the churches attend.
4. SUNDAY, JUNE 10TH - Immigration Forum - I will be part of a panel discussion at Arc and Dove Church in Odenton, MD about the current immigration crisis and how it is affecting our communities. Lunch - 1-2pm. Panel Discussion- 2-4pm. See attached. All are welcome - please RSVP if you can make it! (EVENT FLYER below)
5. WEDNESDAY, JUNE 13TH - St. Philip's Episcopol Church - "Now that You're Here"- 730 Bestgate Road- 6-8pm. How to assimilate non-English speaking newcomers into Anne Arundel County including how to help them navigate our language and cultural barriers. Panel Discussion with Marc Rodriguez (City Aldmerman), Maria Casasco (Office of the County Executive), Gaston Gamez (AACPS) and Waleska Casiano (local immigration attorney). Register here:
6. MONDAY, JUNE 25TH - OUR BIG FUNDRAISER AT SANDY POINT PARK. 1-5PM!!!! OUR GROUP IS ORGANIZING A SILENT AUCTION TABLE - PLEASE CONTACT ME IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO DONATE (GIFT BASKET, TICKETS TO AN EVENT, AN ART PIECE, GIFT CERTIFICATE, ETC.). This is going to be a HUGE event with up to 30 area restaurants participating. Huge thanks to the Point Restaurant - specifically the owners and the manager, Kristen, for organizing this huge event for us!!!
Yasir Abed is working with Mr Shankshaft from First Presbyterian Church to find and buy a new (used) car. Lee Dotson and the Missions Committee are planning a Special meal with the Abed Family where the family can get together with all of us as we did last year. They are very excited to come!
Hope everyone had a great weekend.
Hildy Cardaci, Missions Chair